Not too long ago, on the 11th of February, marked Coretek’s 17th Birthday!
Coretek was born on February the 11th 1999. Our Managing Director Garry Miller vowed to provide a real alternative to an IT Industry where the companies were more concerned with their profit margins rather than providing a good service. In the past 17 years, Coretek has grown as a company. From supporting a handful of local schools and businesses to now supporting IT environments serving literally thousands of users, with clients spanning 9 countries and 4 continents.
So we were wondering, what else was happening in the world in 1999?
- Number one song – February 7th – 13th is Blondie – Maria.
- Eminem was introduced into the music industry.
- Hawaiian shirts became a major fad in 1999.
- The Euro was born.
- ‘C U L8R’ was the generic way to text.
- The iBook was invented.
- In 1999 there were 248 million internet users, there are now 3 billion.
- Dial-up was still used, mostly in home. Meaning you could not use the phone and the internet at the same time.
- The Blackberry was invented.
- Salesforce.com entered the market in 1999 and were the first software to deliver services over the internet, aka The cloud.
- Social media pages such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram did not even exist for years to come!
- Bluetooth technology was released in 1999.
Can you think of any more key trends in 1999? Let us know!
Contact us via Facbeook – Coretek Group and Twitter – @CoretekGroup