We have been notified that there have been reports of a new threat.
The new threat is a Ransomware Trojan, which has been named ‘Jigsaw’ after the character from the film Saw. It is encrypting the system files and deleting them if the desired payment has not been made.
Whilst the files are being encrypted, the attached image shows the message that is being shown. The Trojan begins a countdown and threatens to deleted mentioned files each hour. Find out more here – https://www.mysonicwall.com/sonicalert/searchresults.aspx?ev=article&id=922
We have put together a few tips to make sure that your school or business is protected:
- Check the email address of the sender, not just the display.
- Do not open any emails from an address you do not recognise.
- Be extremely wary of clicking on any links within an email.
- Ensure that you anti-virus software is fully updated with the latest signatures.
- Ensure that any operating systems, browsers and browser plugins are up to date with the latest security patches (obtained from the manufacturing vendor)